Homemade refried beans are a great side for almost any Mexican main dish. They are also healthier than store bought because they do not contain hydrogenated oils and preservatives.
How do you make refried beans at home? Well, it is pretty easy, actually.
- 4 cups cooked pinto beans
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1-2 slices of bacon, cut to small pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- milk or water, as needed
- Run cooked beans through a food mill (for very smooth consistency) or mash them with an immersion blender (for chunky beans).
- In a large frying pan, fry bacon bits until crisp. Take out of the pan.
- In the same pan, saute the onions until they are soft and translucent. Add garlic, bacon and beans and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes. If the mixture is too dry, add a little bit of milk or water.