Healthy, low-fat alternative to fried breaded eggplant is this oven-baked eggplant dredged in breadcrumbs and Parmesan mixture. It is crisp, cheesy and golden on the outside and tender on the inside.
- 2 medium eggplants*, peeled and cut crosswise into ½-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp milk or water
- Combine egg and milk in a shallow dish. Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a second shallow dish.
- Dip eggplant in egg mixture; dredge in breadcrumbs and parmesan mixture, pressing gently to adhere and shaking off excess. Place eggplant slices 1 inch apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until golden, turning once after 15 minutes.