Healthy, low-fat alternative to fried breaded eggplant is this oven-baked eggplant dredged in breadcrumbs and Parmesan mixture. It is crisp, cheesy and golden on the outside and tender on the inside.
Breaded Eggplant (Oven-Baked)
- 2 medium eggplants*, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp milk or water
- Combine egg and milk in a shallow dish. Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a second shallow dish.
- Dip eggplant in egg mixture; dredge in breadcrumbs and parmesan mixture, pressing gently to adhere and shaking off excess. Place eggplant slices 1 inch apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until golden, turning once after 15 minutes.
* To reduce the bitterness of eggplants, I usually cook them in salty water for about 2-3 minutes. Drain in colander, then press out the water with the palm of your hand.