A lighter and healthier way to enjoy favorite comfort food.
Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
- 2 cups (8 oz) whole wheat macaroni
- 1 (8 oz) sweet potato
- 1 small onion, chopped small
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 8 oz shredded cheese of your choice (cheddar, mozzarella)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (optional)
- a pinch of nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- Cook pasta in salted water; drain.
- Cook, steam or bake sweet potato. Peel and mash.
- To make a sauce: in a saucepan, melt the butter on a medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft. Stir in the flour and mix well. Add milk, stirring often, and cook until sauce thickens and flour taste cooks out. Add cheese and mustard. Season with nutmeg, salt and white pepper.
- Stir in mashed sweet potatoes and boiled pasta. Transfer to a greased baking dish and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.