If you are diabetic, or dieting, there is no need to give up enjoying seafood risotto. Just replace white rice with quinoa, which has glycemic load of only 13 (while rice has GL of 43). I think the recipe would also work for people on low-carb or gluten-free diet. You will not believe how good it tastes!
Prepare quinoa in the same way you cook rice, just be sure to wash it thoroughly before cooking. Rinsing will remove quinoa’s natural coating that can be bitter-tasting.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 600g (22 oz) squid or calamari, cleaned, cut into rings
- 1½ Tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- about 1 quart vegetable broth, hot
- salt, ground black pepper to taste
- Put quinoa in a colander and rinse thoroughly with hot water, tossing it around with your hands. Drain.
- Heat a heavy non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add oil, then add onion and cook until softened.
- Add calamari (or squid) and fry for a few minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 min. Then add about 1 cup hot vegetable broth, parsley, salt and pepper and cook until squid is soft (adding more broth if liquid evaporates).
- Add quinoa and stir for 1 minute, or until well coated. Continue stirring occasionally and adding hot liquid as necessary until quinoa is soft.
- Serve hot or cold, drizzled with some olive oil.