This is healthy, low carb version of the famous Italian chicken parmesan recipe.
Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded 1/4-inch thick
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, whole wheat
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs (like oregano, thyme, parsley, paprika)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a plate, combine whole wheat breadcrumbs with Parmesan cheese and mixed herbs.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour, then dip in egg and then dredge in bread crumb and Parmesan mixture.
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add chicken to pan and cook until first side is golden brown, about 5 to 8 minutes. Turn chicken over. Spoon marinara sauce over chicken and top with mozzarella cheese. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook until meat is done and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.