About a month ago, I made myself a butternut squash smoothie and put a pinch of gingerbread spice in it, without taking much thought of it. When I tried it, I thought to myself: “It tastes so Christmassy, just like eggnog!”. It was creamy and thick and had a nice yellow color. I was surprised and thrilled at the same time. Immediately I knew I had to make it again for Christmas. Unfortunately, I didn’t write down the exact recipe for Butternut Squash Eggnog, so now I’m trying to recreate it.
It is so easy to make this eggnog – no cooking is required, you just mix all ingredients together. Also, Butternut Squash Eggnog contains no eggs, so, if non-dairy milk is used, it is suitable for vegans.
- 1/2 cup butternut squash puree
- 2 cups low fat milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp gingerbread spice (or just nutmeg)
- 1 oz. (30 g) brandy or bourbon (optional)
- sweeten to taste
- Mix butternut squash puree with milk, vanilla and spice. You can use an immersion blender or regular blender for this. Sweeten to taste.
- You can strain the mixture, but I didn’t because it was smooth enough for me. Chill for at least 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, pour into glasses, add some brandy or bourbon (if using) and sprinkle with additional gingerbread spice or nutmeg.